Creamy Prawn Laksa with Crispy Shallots
Recipe courtesy of Madame Lus Kitchen
½ tsp. chilli powder
1 tsp. coriander seeds, roasted
2 tsp. shrimp paste, roasted (optional)
2 small red onions, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
zest of 1 lime, reserve the lime for juice
1 stalk of lemongrass, white part finely chopped
2 large red chillies, chopped
1 tbsp. coriander root, finely chopped
1 tsp. turmeric powder
a pinch of salt
1 can of coconut cream
1 tsp. coconut oil
2 cups of chicken or fish stock
3 tsp. fish sauce
150 gm rice noodles
8 prawns, shelled and deveined
handful of bean sprouts
handful of crispy shallots (store bought or homemade)
1. To make the paste, grind the chilli powder and coriander seeds in a pestle and mortar. Add the remaining ingredients from the shrimp paste through to the salt and pound until a smooth paste forms.
2. Heat coconut oil in a heavy based pan over medium heat. Add 2 tbsp. of coconut cream and cook until the oil splits from the cream and you get a toasted coconut aroma. Add the paste and fry off until you can smell the spices.
3. Add the rest of the coconut cream and simmer for 10 minutes to allow the flavour to develop.
4. Now add the stock and bring to the boil. Turn back to a simmer and add the prawns and fish sauce. Poach the prawns in the soup for 2 minutes.
5. To serve, divide the noodles and prawns between two bowls. Pour the soup over and garnish with bean sprouts, coriander, sliced chilli and crispy shallots. Serve immediately.